James M. Drachenberg
Motivation, Creativity, Performance
Areas of Expertise
Design Experience • Interpersonal Skills • Department Collaboration
Time Management Skills • Customer Interaction • Learning
3D Modeling • Idea Conceptualization • Communication
Technical Knowledge • 3D Printing • Product Analysis
West Pharmaceutical Services
Sr. Mechanical Engineer – September 2020 to Present
- Currently working on establishing Tolerance Analysis formats and tools.
- Working with global team to transition new product from the design/verification phase into production.
ACCO Brands (Xyron, Inc.), Scottsdale, AZ
Engineer, Prod Dev 3 – May 2013 to July 2020
(Contracted through Aerotek – May 2013 to November 2013)
- Designed consumer products in the professional and maker markets focusing on adhesive application and document preservation.
- Analyzed and addressed concerns from clients and management to redesign legacy product; Improving functionality & consistency, eliminating failure in the field & re-work, and reducing assembly time & manufacturing cost.
- While under Esselte Corp., initiated a product data management system in Solidworks to improve security, revision control, and sharing of engineering documentation; Becoming the primary storage solution for new Xyron and Leitz-brand engineering projects within the North American division.
- Collaborated with award-winning design firm Whipsaw, the ASU Industrial Design school, and internal resources to re-imagine legacy products, reducing size and increasing capabilities.
- Interfaced with Esselte’s VP of Lean Management to implement Kaizen-driven improvements to the flow of manufacturing cells.
- Redesigned components and assembly for “Pro” line of cartridges, replacing expensive, failure-prone equipment with cost-effective, soft-tooled fixtures manufactured in-house.
- Joined together with global team to create new Leitz-brand products, while reducing cost and improving performance of existing ones.
- During the acquisition of Esselte Corp. by ACCO Brands, Inc., oversaw the transfer of all Xyron engineering IP to ACCO, uploading everything into the ACCO data management system.
- Developed new, patented IP for a line of hot glue guns under the Xyron brand.
- Involved in all stages of product development, including CAD design, drawings, prototyping, injection mold tooling review & approval, sample evaluation, testing report design, production start authorization, manufacturing review, failure mode analysis, and UL compliance.
- Under ACCO’s 2020 sustainability initiatives, worked to redesign consumables to significantly reduce plastic volume, while making the products easier to recycle.
GlobalMed Telemedicine, Scottsdale, AZ
Mechanical Engineer – April 2010 to May 2013
- Designed telemedical products and systems in SolidWorks based on inputs from Management, Sales, and the customer.
- Designed hundreds of individual injection molded, formed sheet metal, and CNC-machined parts.
- Sourced and worked with manufacturers for the most efficient and cost-effective prototype and production runs.
- Analyzed and addressed client concerns about product. With a deadline of one week, identified and fixed “rattling” issue with a legacy product, resulting in millions in sales in Canada.
- Collaborated with production team to find the most efficient and effective way to assemble components and improve designs.
Tempco Electric Heater Corporation, Wood Dale, IL
Mechanical Engineer – July 2007 to August 2009
- Designed over a thousand unique heating elements and thermocouples for use in plastic injection molding, automotive oil, pellet stove, and other custom applications.
- Designed multiple speciality heaters based “uncommon” constraints to be used as resistors in Windmill applications.
- Performed failure analysis and prepared reports for returned products and prototypes.
- Worked alongside sales and manufacturing to develop heating solutions to meet specific customer needs, including technical support, telephone conference calls, and customer site visits.
- Developed strong professional relationship with client.
MPC Products, Skokie, IL
Mechanical Engineering Intern – May 2006 to June 2007
- Worked in CNC manufacturing and AutoCAD 2D drafting for aerospace motor components.
- Developed an organized inventory system for the gear cutting tools and trained floor operators on usage.
- Certified SolidWorks Professional (Certificate ID: C-59ZUKUQTAD)
- SW Advanced Drawing Tools (Certificate ID: C-WNFP2X4U8A)
- Autodesk Fusion 360
- Familiarity in FreeCAD
- Familiarity in OnShape
- Microsoft Office Suite
- 3D Printing
- 3D Modeling
- Laser Cutting
- Manual Milling
- Silicone Molds
US Patent No. 10,413,931
US Design Patent No. D872,148
Education and Memberships
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
University of Illinois at Chicago, 2007
Interdisciplinary Product Development
Worked in a cross-functional team of engineering, design, and business students to develop a product for corporate sponsor. Conducted focus groups to research consumer needs and presented findings to corporate sponsor on university campus and in sponsor’s place of business.
Pi Tau Sigma Engineering Honors Society
- Alpha Sigma, 2006
- Alpha Sigma Chapter President, 2007
Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honors Society
Illinois Zeta, 2006
In the Media
“Drachenberg, a mechanical engineer, exemplifies the new ‘Renaissance Person.'” – 3DPrint.com, 2015
Winner: Google OnHub Design Competition – 2016
Z-Purse featured in Make: Vol 54 – 2016
MyMiniFactory Designer Spotlight – June 2018
Fillamentum “Best Prints #22” – May 2019
MakeCode Game of the Week – August 2019
MakeCode Game of the Week – November 2019